openigloo Community Guidelines
openigloo strives to be the most trusted and transparent place for today's tenants to search for apartments and research buildings and landlords. We follow these simple principles and guidelines to ensure the most authentic, transparent, and valuable information is available to renters and prospective renters while balancing fairness to landlords.
- We never edit or alter the text of reviews or comments submitted on our site, no matter how minor.
- We never suppress, filter, or delete content simply because it is negative/lower-rated, or positive/higher-rated.
- We apply the same standard of review for all content (whether or not the content involves a client of openigloo).
- We require an email from a permanent, active email address or a valid social networking account for each user submitting content.
- We moderate every piece of content through a two-step moderation process. The first gate of review is technological. We apply proprietary technology that analyzes multiple attributes of the content. If the content does not pass technological review, a team of human moderators reviews the content to determine if it meets our guidelines. Additionally, a human always moderates any piece of content that is flagged for secondary review.
- We use proprietary technology filters & algorithms to detect attempted abuse and gaming.
- We stay neutral in all cases of dispute; we don’t take sides and we don’t act as the finder of fact with respect to review content.
- We remove content if we have evidence that users were incentivized to or coerced into leaving the content.
- We believe in the principle of anonymity and free speech — everyone has a right to voice their opinion and be heard without fear of retribution, censorship or other unwanted attention.
Tenants rely on openigloo's reviews and other user-submitted content to find buildings and landlords they love. Follow these guidelines to ensure everyone can benefit from a helpful, balanced, and authentic community.
- Your review should be truthful and constitute your own personal opinion and experience with your current or former rental experience. We don’t take sides when it comes to factual disputes, so we expect you to stand behind your statements expressed in your content.
- Each individual is allowed one review, per building, per year, per review type. If a user updates a review within a year, the older review will be archived and the newer review will be listed. Your content should be related to buildings you have lived in within the last five years so it’s relevant to today’s prospective tenants.
- We encourage you to think about your rental experience from a few perspectives and include both a pro and a con to provide a balanced review. While not required, we do believe balanced reviews make for a better community experience.
- We allow reviews that name individuals in the highest positions of a building’s management who have broad influence over the living environment, as long as the review describes the individual’s behavior or performance with respect to their involvement of the building’s management. We believe this information is generally representative of a building’s culture and can be informative to prospective tenants.
- We do not allow reviews that include negative comments about identifiable individuals outside of this group.
- We realize talking about living experiences can get emotionally charged, but we don't approve reviews that include certain profanities, threats of violence, or discriminatory language targeted at an individual or group. We may allow reviews that mention race, religion, nationality, gender, sexual orientation and the like if we believe the comment is used to describe a living situation. General discussions of misconduct are allowed, including most discussions of illegal activities, discrimination, and sexual harassment.
- We do not accept reviews that reveal confidential, non-public building/landlord information.
- To safeguard privacy, we do not allow you to identify yourself or include any contact information (about yourself or others) in your posts.
- openigloo is about sharing information that helps the entire community. We reject reviews that do not relate to a building, are only a review of the product or service, or are otherwise not relevant to understanding a building’s culture. We will reject any content meant as an advertisement or containing a web link.
- All reviews should be original – no substantial quoted material from other sources, including (but not limited to) websites, e-mail correspondence, other reviews, etc.
- Your writing doesn't have to be perfect, but we need to be able to understand it. We reject reviews for excessive capitalization or filler words/characters. And remember, your review will be more credible if you use good grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Our Community Guidelines and moderation policies take into consideration applicable laws in the different international markets in which openigloo operates.